Saturday, January 17, 2015

Snippets #38: January 17, 1987


       This is from a January 17, 1987 letter to Mom and Pop:

       "Guess where I'm going to be on my birthday? Give up? California! Yes, the trip to meet with the Playmates people is now scheduled for the week after next. We'll be leaving on the 27th, meeting on the 28th and 29th, and coming back on the 30th. I'm not really looking forward to it -- I'd much rather be home on my birthday, and regardless of my birthday, I don't like to be away from Jen that long. I just have to look at it as an irritating necessity of my business life, I guess.
     
       I'm enclosing a couple of books that I don't think you have yet -- Leonardo #1 and Gobbledygook #1. Gotta keep your collection of Mirage Studios pubs up to date, right?"

       [I think this was the very first visit Kevin and I made to Playmates Toys at their headquarters in La Mirada. Mark Freedman of Surge Licensing joined us out there. We met two of the major players working on the TMNT toy line at that initial meeting -- John Handy and Karl Aaronian.

      Given what was to follow, which of course I could not fully envision at that point, it's a little amusing to see me describing this trip as an "irritating necessity of my business life"... which, I suppose, at that point it was. Taking four days out of our schedules when we were going great guns with the comics and struggling to keep up with our self-imposed deadlines probably did seem annoying at that time. And I really didn't like being away from my wife for that long.

       It's funny -- during the time between the date of my last entry in these "Snippets", which was from June 7, 1986, and this one roughly seven months later in January of 1987, a lot of really important stuff happened -- we moved from Connecticut to Massachusetts, set up actual office space for Mirage Studios, lost one secretary/office manager, then hired another... and probably most significant, we got contacted out of the blue by Mark Freedman, met with him in Northampton and signed a deal for him to be the licensing agent for the TMNT property. I can't say for certain, because the dates are a little fuzzy in my brain, but it's also possible that both Jim Lawson and Mike Dooney moved to the Northampton area from Connecticut and New Jersey, respectively, during this period.

       I really wish I'd written more of this stuff down when it was happening.
  
        If memory serves, for some reason I ended up coming back by myself from sunny, warm California, and found my car covered in more than a foot of snow... which I had to dig it out of, with no shovel, in the unplowed parking lot at the airport. Not a pleasant experience. At least by this time I had a reliable new Honda which I would not worry about so much in terms of starting when I needed it to and having an actual working heater for the cold months.
    
        It's possible that I am conflating this with some other winter trip which ended the same way... regardless, not fun. -- PL]

8 comments:

  1. Whenever I have any free time from Website Copywriting, I come to your blog and read your snippets – that’s how much I love your content. I haven’t read this one completely – but I will do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that’s cool hope you will enjoy your trip to the fullest. It is great to make trips out of town or out of the country as it is the best thing to get relief from daily hectic routines. I had also planned a trip this year which first got postponed due to COVID, and then It was about to get canceled due to a lot of coursework that I got from university. But in the end, I opted to pay to do my coursework online so that I can save my trip and get a relaxing vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, it was always my dream to travel to California. That is a place where I’ll find the Hip Hop industry’s evolution. Though if I shift to California, can I get an assignment writing service for me cheap so that I can live my life easier? If you have the answer to it please reply to my comment so that I may do tracking and get myself this service within this week. SO please, let me know if it is possible to avail of cheap services for assignment writing in California.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I have read your blog post and that is really informative as well. My friend recommended your blog and trust me through reading uch amazing cosmetics stores near me updates we able to change our perception as well. Keep writing such amazing stuff alwaysI will always let you and your words cosmetics stores near me

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best line in this topic is set up actual office space for Mirage Studios, lost one secretary/office manager, then hired another which is so reactive and authorized like to having the most realistic CIPD Business Assignment Help, from them in all the way to UK respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs are great.Are you also searching for Cheap Nursing Writing company? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering cheap nursing writing services to students without having to break the bank.whatsapp us:+1-(951)-468-9855

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are even times when Ifeel so down but I will feel better right after checking your blogs. You have made me feel so good about myself all the time and please know that I do appreciate everything that you have.well. Keep writing such amazing sweatshirts for women stuff alwaysI will always let you and your words sweatshirts for women

    ReplyDelete