Thursday, January 15, 2015

Snippets #36: March 1, 1986



This one is from a March 1, 1986 letter to Mom and Pop typed on our Coleco ADAM computer:

"I'm really sorry to have been such a bum about writing letters… it's just that I have been so freaking' busy! I won't bore you with the details, as I'm sure you heard enough about it in my video letter. Suffice it to say that while we feel great about finally finishing TMNT #7 (three weeks late, but what the heck), we are still under the gun with our next book to finish by the end of May, along with all the artwork for the second turtle role-playing game. So for the next few months, we'll still be insanely busy. C'est la vie!

The weather here has been beautiful lately, except for one bizarre day last week. It just happened to be the very day that we had to drive out to Poughkeepsie to deliver the artwork for TMNT #7 to the printer. Well, that morning it was snowing! I mean, the day before had been sunny and warm, almost 70… and here it was, snow, blowing all over the place! On the way out to Poughkeepsie, it actually turned into a small blizzard, and the driving was pretty hellish, all the way out and all the way back. I thought that we might be in for a relapse of winter, but the very next day it was hot and sunny and all the snow had disappeared. Who can figure…?
…………..

Kevin and I are getting ready to leave for FLorida tomorrow, for a two-day convention in Fort Lauderdale. We'll be coming back next Tuesday, probably in a sunburned state. Should be fun!"


        [Fans knowledgeable of TMNT history may realize that the Fort Lauderdale convention mentioned in the last paragraph was the one out of which came the "Turtlemania" collectible -- a small fanzine-type publication featuring a variety of TMNT art. Its various iterations have gone on to demand high prices as collectibles over the years since… I'm not entirely sure why.
I recall that this show was small, held in a medium-sized function room at a hotel, and that Kevin and I came to refer to it as the "Relaxi-Con", due to the very low traffic and light crowds. I remember it was so dead at times that some of the dealers were playing cards with each other to alleviate the boredom. 

       I am intrigued by the mention of a "video letter" -- I seem to recall creating something like this with a rented video camera when we lived in Sharon. I wonder if I have a copy of it somewhere...? -- PL]

8 comments:

  1. I was at this convention as a child and my father bought a painting you did of Raphael as well as the original art to cover (I tbink) of turtlemania special. Fun memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of TMNT, and honestly, I watch and re-watch the movie and the series again and again. Since I have started providing Dissertation Conclusion Services, I haven’t had much time for entertainment. I think I should take some time out on weekend to re-watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha you are toking about letter I feel writer a letter and essay is so dangerous work that's why I was make from top assignment experts service. when I need of essay so here I can easily done my work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my childhood, there were no motivational characters except TMNT.
    Regards: Senior Moving Services Fort Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. The level of detail and analysis in this article is truly impressive.
    Courtesy,
    Abbar Foods, Enabling Business Growth with FMCG Logistics Solutions in Saudi Arabia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to read this post! Certainly,Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is often used for identity management and authentication in Microsoft 365 Development. Developers can implement single sign-on (SSO) and secure their applications using Azure AD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Size and shape: Office tables come in different dimensions to fit various spaces and purposes. Common shapes include rectangular, L-shaped, U-shaped, and corner desks. Consider the available space in your office and the layout of your workspace when choosing the size and shape of your office table. computer table price in pakistan

    ReplyDelete