Thursday, July 26, 2012

Blast from the Past #571: February 12, 2009: Re: Too cool, March 13, 2009: TMNT 25th Anniversary Stuff, March 19, 2009: Re: FW: TMNT 25th Anniversary Stuff, April 6, 2009: Re: Pete tape




Subj: Re: Too cool
Date: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:34:51 AM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 2/11/09 11:40:15 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete –
 
 We really sweated over ‘em, revising and revising until we got something that totally resembled the original book, but still worked as an animated background!  I’m really happy you like ‘em!>>

Lloyd,


I think your hard work paid off -- when I look at these images, my first thought is "Did we draw those?" Very well done.
 
<< To be honest, I do think posting these would give too much away.  The way the 25th Anniversary special is constructed, the introduction of the original comics Turtles and their (b&w) world comes as a completely unexpected surprise.  Fans will be thinking that the whole special is about the 2003 Turtles meeting and fighting alongside characters from the 1988 world, and that’s it.   The inclusion of the 1984 Turtles and world should come as a big kick in the pants when it happens.  So I think if you leak these it kinda lets that cat outta the bag.  The fans who attended the animation panel I did at the Con on Sunday know that the ONLY upcoming project at the moment is the 25th Anniversary Special, so I’m not sure playing it the way you suggest would really throw anyone off the scent.  What do you think?>>

You're probably right. I guess I'm really itching to start teasing this thing, but it can certainly wait. While I was driving Steve Lavigne part of the way back to Maine a couple of days ago, I mentioned (after swearing him to secrecy, of course) the fact that the b/w Turtles would be appearing in the special , and he thought that was a WICKED cool idea. So maybe that was in my head when I got the art from you.
  
<< Tomorrow I’m taking my family on vacation, but I’ll give you a shout when I get back (around the 23rd) and we can cook up a plan to get together.
 
 Great seeing you Pete!
 
 Lloyd>>

Enjoy the vacation, man!


-- Pete


------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: TMNT 25th Anniversary Stuff
Friday, March 13, 2009 11:02 AM
From: Peter Laird
To: Lloyd Goldfine

 Hey Pete –
  
 While we’re all anxiously awaiting the first of the animation to arrive from Korea (next month), I’ve been getting everything organized on this end.
  
 One thing that I wanted to ask you about was if you are still interested in doing the “live-action” ending that features your voice and Kevin’s voice.  I’ve attached that section of the script below so you can refresh your memory.  After you check it out, let me know if we should proceed (i.e. I’ll need to arrange voice records of both you and Kevin, get props, shoot the shot, composite, etc.).
  
 Hope all is well.
  
 Lloyd
  
 "TRACK THEM – roof running, classic TMNT ninja-style; the city their playground, racing toward cam, which rockets back as they race forward; soundtrack swelling as…
 1.  *’84 leo (v.o. over action)
 We are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles… We strike hard and fade away… <ON FINAL LEAP> Into the night!
 *… they LEAP to overtake Cam, but – CAMERA FREEZE FRAMES!  The Turtles are frozen mid-leap - poses identical to the first double-page spread (pages 2 and 3) from the first issue of TMNT!  
 *Holding on that image…  PULL OUT and…
 match dissolve to:
 *int. art studio/living room of eastman and laird – continuous
 *LIVE ACTION FOOTAGE: we continue our pull out in ONE SEAMLESS CAMERA MOVE to reveal we’re looking at THE ACTUAL TWO PAGE SPREAD on a real world drawing board.  CAMERA keeps pulling out wider to reveal – we’re in the “art studio”/living room of EASTMAN and LAIRD (NOTE: Camera is in close.  We only see artwork, artists tools, and hands – we never clearly see either Eastman or Laird)!  Camera settles, when from O.S.:
 2.  *peter laird (o.s.)
 I think the first issue is coming along rather well!  Don’t you, Kev?
 3.  kevin eastman (o.s.)
 Sure do, Pete. Let’s get back to it after lunch!
 *An O.S. door <OPENS>…
 4.  *peter laird (o.s.)
 Pizza?
 5.  *kevin eastman (o.s.)
 Pizza!
 *… and <CLOSES!>  The SCREEN goes BLACK… and END CREDITS roll! "

 The End
  
---------------------------------------------


Subj: Re: FW: TMNT 25th Anniversary Stuff
Date: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:02:17 AM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 3/18/09 5:27:03 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey there Pete –
 
 Didn’t hear back from you on this, so I’m resending.
 
 I suspect you’re enjoying the nice stretch of weather on your bicycle, motorcycle, etc.!
 
 Let me know your thoughts after you check this out.
 
 Cheers,
 
 Lloyd>>

Lloyd,


D'oh! Sorry, man -- I thought I had already responded to this email. 


I confess I am at this point somewhat ambivalent about doing the voice thing for this bit of the special. While I still think that ending is a great idea, I'm just not sure if my 55 year old voice is really appropriate. (I'm not sure Kevin's would be at this point, either.) 
I'm assuming that you wouldn't use either of us for the visuals -- that would best be done with more youthful (albeit faceless for this purpose) actors... right?


I have been enjoying the good weather... except today is kind of crappy (drizzly rain). At least it's not snow...!


-- Pete
 
-
-----------------------------------

Subj: Re: FW: TMNT 25th Anniversary Stuff
Date: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:40:44 PM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 3/19/09 1:36:07 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete –
 
 Yup, we’re only planning to show hands, etc.  There won’t be any faces.
 
 I think we really should at least try it with your real voice and Kevin’s real voice.  The lines are short, and I seriously doubt anyone is gonna say, “Geez, get a load of them geezers!”  J  I’m pretty sure we can pull it off, and I think the authenticity, the fact that is really you (and Kevin, unless you don’t want him included), really puts the cherry on top of this 25th Anniversary sundae!
 
 Whaddya say?!
 
 Lloyd (aka Mr. Persistent)>>

Lloyd,


Okay, I'll give it a try!


-- Pete

----------------------------------

Subj: Re: Pete tape
Date: Monday, April 6, 2009 8:01:18 PM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 4/6/09 3:42:16 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete –
 
 For the last shot of the 25th anniversary special (the live-action shot), we need authentic looking copies of “original page art” from the first issue to prop the scene.  Gary suggested I check with you to see if you had anything hidden away in your files that would be worth using.  I don’t believe the two pieces he pasted below match the comic closely enough.
 
 Lemme know.
 
 Thanks,
 
 Lloyd

Lloyd,


I don't know if you have a copy of this, but some years ago we published a squarebound "facsimile" issue of TMNT #1 wherein the original artwork was photographed in color and printed in color. Even though it was done for a black and white book, the Duo-Shade paper we used to  do the art on had a nice somewhat sepia color cast to it once the tone chemicals were applied. I would suspect that this could be what you need -- maybe scan the pages or color copy them onto some sturdier paper (card stock?) in the right size (I think the originals were about twelve inches high).
If you don't have a copy of this edition, I think we still have a few at the studio -- Gary could probably send you one.


-- Pete

4 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, I'm gonna try this again. I have a couple questions. Why are the Fred Wolf characters referred to as 88 when the show premiered in 87? One other thing why wasn't Serling in the special?Wasn't he living with the Turtles? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "DanJuly 26, 2012 8:29 AM
      Hi Peter, I'm gonna try this again. I have a couple questions. Why are the Fred Wolf characters referred to as 88 when the show premiered in 87?"

      I don't think it's particularly important -- it was, after all, just a shorthand way for the writers to distinguish between the TMNT from the first show and the TMNT from the second show, and the "88" designation never appeared in the show itself -- but it COULD have been because the series didn't become a regular Saturday morning syndicated series until October of 1988.

      "One other thing why wasn't Serling in the special?Wasn't he living with the Turtles?"

      I don't recall why he wasn't included, but it could very well have been that we were trying to get so much into that last episode that he just got squeezed out. -- PL

      Delete
    2. The "88" designation did appear in the show. During the credits the characters were listed as 88 Shredder, 88 Leo etc.

      Delete
    3. "The "88" designation did appear in the show. During the credits the characters were listed as 88 Shredder, 88 Leo etc."

      I don't consider things that appear in the credits as "appearing in the show".

      In any event, as I said in my last response, "it COULD have been because the series didn't become a regular Saturday morning syndicated series until October of 1988."

      But even more to the point, as I also mentioned in my last response, "it was, after all, just a shorthand way for the writers to distinguish between the TMNT from the first show and the TMNT from the second show." We could have, for example, referred to them as the 89, 90, 91, or 92 Turtles and it would have served the same purpose. -- PL

      Delete