Friday, February 12, 2010

Blast from the Past #276: "Fugitoid" pencil layouts

I stumbled over these when I was looking in my files for some art to hang on the walls in our house. They are my rough pencil layouts for several chapters of the original "Fugitoid" comic book. I was a little surprised to see these, as I had forgotten that I had done layouts for that project. The group of layouts that I found does not represent the entire book, so it's possible that Kevin did some or all of the first and/or second chapters... but it's also possible that I did all the layouts. At this point in time, I can't recall.

Back when I did these, Kevin and I were still planning to release "Fugitoid" in individual five-page chapters. The idea was to print these on one sheet of 17 by 22 inch paper, so that when folded you would have four pages at 8.5 by 11 inches, then the last one would be a huge "poster size" page visible when you unfolded the sheet (we got this format idea from some "poster magazines" which were popular at the time).

Of course, we never published it in that form. A couple of years later, when we decided to blend the story of the 'Toid into the TMNT universe, we added a few more pages to the tale and published it as a regular (though somewhat oddly-sized) comic book which led into issue five of the TMNT comic.

I didn't find any layout pages for Chapter 1, and only this one page which I think is from Chapter 2, when Honeycutt first realizes what has happened to him...



Here are some page layouts from Chapter 3...

Page 2



Page 3



Page 4



Here are the first two pages from Chapter 4...

Page 1




Page 2



Here are all five pages to Chapter 5...

Page 1



Page 2



Page 3



Page 4




Page 5



And finally, the five pages of Chapter 6...

Page 1



Page 2



Page 3



Page 4



Page 5



You may have noticed that some of these pages were drawn on paper with alternating white and green bands. This is another good example of "using what is at hand". This paper was stuff left over from my word processing experiments at the Dover, NH Public Library -- the library had installed a computer with a dot-matrix printer and it was freely accessible to anyone who patronised the library. It was the first time I'd ever used a computer, and I loved it. The printer printed on the classic green and white "computer paper", and I saved any blank pages it might print and used them for various purposes... including, in this case, drawing pencil layouts for a comic book story! -- PL

6 comments:

  1. Heh, these are pretty awesome. I remember my dad had paper like that for his printer when I was a wee'un, with the removable dotty sides. The 'toid is such a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to see how well perserved the drawing is.
    Also, its pretty awesome to learn that Fugitoid was intended to be a separate character that you brought into the TMNT fold. Were there any others that started as such before becominga character for TMNT from an original concept?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing beats using old computer paper, i would have rolls of those things at my dads old job and draw on them all day long. what an awesome thing to see you using those for the toid as well. awesome, just purely awesom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -->> That is a damn awesome find !! !!


    The very loose, rough , and early interpretations of Fugi, Lonae, Mozar, the Varlesh , and Blanque are pretty classy too !!

    Damn , i love these roughs !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask - are Honeycutt and everybody else from the old Gobbledygook Fugitoid story still your property, or does it belong to Viacom/Nickelodeon now?

    ReplyDelete