Thursday, November 5, 2009

Moving on

Ever since the first of the new TMNT toys based on the 2003 4Kids tv series started coming out, I've tacked them up on the walls of my office at Mirage (mostly just the figures, with a few veicles, accessories and playsets thrown in). I was inspired to do this by the example of Dan Berger, who had decorated his upstairs office with most (if not all) of the TMNT figures from the first wave. I had pretty much covered all of the available wall space a few years ago, and I had gotten used to having this kind of "wallpaper" of green in my office. Here's a view of one wall a couple of weeks ago:



But with the sale, and looking forward to a post-Turtles life, last week I thought it might be time to take the toys down and put them into storage. I hauled some boxes down to the office and started the process. It took me about three hours over the course of several days to get it done. I ran out of boxes near the end, so I have to bring some more down to pack everything up. Here's a view of the same wall as in the above photo, sans toys.



I will confess to a certain amount of melancholy in performing this task, even though I knew it had to be done. Although I had grown a little weary of the somewhat cluttered look of the walls in my office, they were cheerier than these now blank ones.

But with some spackle (to fill in the tack holes), a little sanding, and some fresh paint, things will look better. And maybe I'll be hanging some new artwork on these walls in the coming years. -- PL

18 comments:

  1. Hiya Pete, I think posting up some artwork sounds like a great idea.

    You've also showcased some nice photography here; that might be a neat direction as well.

    - Austin V

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photography would look great on those walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! You have some toys that i am missing... care to share??? ha! ha!

    Enjoy this post-Turtles life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know you didn't have to. ;) That is the coolest wall display of all,really!Thanks for sharing!

    Maybe artwork for each version can go in its place. Original work for TMNTvol.1#1 and next to it the originial cartoon artwork and so on.:D
    Again enjoy your turtle break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first picture looks like my studio except all the figures are out of the packages and in Curios.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's extremely depressing. You know, Peter, no matter what, you'll always be one of the only two guys in the history of ever, who invented Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and improved the world, and the lives of a generation in drastic ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that IS kinda depressing
    but then again its the 2k3 turtles so its just movin on.

    PL,alot has been asked about the turtles direction post-sale,but im wondering:whats next for mirage?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just be careful hauling those boxes- I nearly threw my back out once moving my music scores into the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your artwork has been sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny. My walls have looked like that for years now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you feel melancholy, maybe a tasteful single piece of TMNT art is in order to go with whatever else gets put on the wall.

    All of the figures is a bit much. A single picture might be a warm reminder of good times past and good times ahead.

    Or maybe that's just me. I'd love an Eastman & Laird piece on my wall. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about making the wall a piece of art by directly applying graphite / ink / paints to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember those walls. I remember that Dan had most, if not all, of his toys signed.
    Cheers,
    Stan Sakai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey I did the same thing with my 2003 figures! Only, I had more wall space, and a lot less figures... so it turned into more of a decorative TMNT frieze.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also was inspired by Dan Berger to start a wall of figures, which i believe I saw the pic on the back of one of the vol.4 comics. I became so obsessed with the wall I bought every figure from the line. Now i have boxes and boxes of tmnt, but i wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. -->> Think some Stan , Steve, Ryan, Dan , Jim , Eric , n' Mike art work in those spots would be a more than suitable replacement and refinement of the new coming decor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Peter, I have been wondering, what are some of your favorite TMNT toys?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the other people's idea of you posting some of your photography on the walls. You really come out with great stuff.

    As you try to reclaim that artist within you and put aside the businessman, just do what you want and what interests you. Anything that gives you a bit of vigor. We're going to enjoy it no matter what.

    ReplyDelete