Monday, October 27, 2008

Donatello marker sketch

This sketch of Donatello represents something I rarely do, which is to draw a full figure Turtle without first at least roughly penciling in the basic shapes.



I did this one at some comic show in 2000. It's kind of funny to see what cheap paper I was working on -- as you can see from the photo, the yellow of the cover of the sketch pad I was using as a drawing surface shows right through the paper I'm drawing on.

This drawing was done with a Sharpie marker, a great tool but very unforgiving, especially on cheap paper, as Sharpies tend to bleed if not handled with lightness and precision. Drawing like this makes me nervous -- it's far too easy to make a mistake, and then the whole thing is ruined. This one came out okay, I think. -- PL

4 comments:

  1. -->> .. is a little different then when you were doing the 100s of Turtle ' bust ' ( i guess ) illustrations in the back TMNT v4 #29 ??

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  2. "~ tOkKa said...

    -->> .. is a little different then when you were doing the 100s of Turtle ' bust ' ( i guess ) illustrations in the back TMNT v4 #29 ??"

    I've practiced enough doing those marker-only big head sketches at shows that I feel confident in doing them without any pencil drawing. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  3. -->> ..o i see.

    Perhaps also it helps ::..the environment.
    Prolly helps to be in the sanctity of the office to do all those drawings.

    >v<

    ReplyDelete