Friday, June 6, 2008

Drawing from "The Art of Usagi Yojimbo"


A few years ago, I had the great pleasure and honor of being asked to contribute to "The Art of Usagi Yojimbo", a REALLY nice hardcover art book all about my friend Stan Sakai's character and comic book, "Usagi Yojimbo". They didn't have to ask me twice!

I had a lot of fun drawing this piece. I wanted to include the Turtles somehow, but not obtrusively -- I mean, this was "The Art of Usagi Yojimbo", not "The Art of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", after all. So I figured out a way to do that, and I think it worked out okay.

While at Anthrocon in 2005, I gave the original to Stan. I'm glad he liked it! -- PL

10 comments:

  1. Just another example of your amazing art. Please pencil an issue of Tales or Volume 4. I miss your art in the comics so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when do we get that "The Art of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" book? Stan needs to return the favor, after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I love Usagi, it's my sencond favorite comic book (after TMNT of course) :D

    The episodes where Usagi appears in de new TMNT show are my favorite episodes. Too bad he won't be appearing in fast forward as Space Usagi. Is there a chance he'll be in Back to the Sewers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. -->> O F - - - ~~~ ** !!

    you it be out of the question also to ask Stan back as well for a one shot or summin' ??

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly was a clever way of including the Turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usagi: "These statues look familiar...."

    ReplyDelete
  7. "usagiguy said...
    Thank you for the art--for the contribution to the book, and for giving me the original.

    That is a beautiful book. Dark Horse really did it right. My favorite section is the gallery of Usagi art by other creators. I enjoy seeing other artists take on my characters.

    I have been posting some of these non-sakai Usagi drawings on my own journal. I have one that you did when we first met way back at the 1985 San Diego Con.

    http://usagiguy.livejournal.com/

    Cheers,
    Stan Sakai"

    Hey, Stan! Thanks for coming to my blog. I did see that drawing you mentioned, the one I had done in your sketchbook way back when -- I'd completely forgotten it! It was a real "blast from the past", as it took me back to a time when I was transitioning from drawing the Turtles the way Kevin and I originally drew them to the way I draw them now. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  8. -->> ..takin' this as a sign.

    Miyamoto U.,Gen, and The Turtes really need to get back together.

    It's been too long.

    >v<

    ReplyDelete