Friday, May 16, 2008

Rejected cover

Over at Ryan Brown and Steve Lavigne's "Cowabunga Cartoon Classics!" blog (http://lavignebrownart.blogspot.com/), I noticed a photograph of me and Kevin from the old days with a piece of art blown up in the background. There were some questions about what that art was, and I tracked it down... or at least one version of it.

My memory is a little iffy about the precise details, but I believe this is a piece that I penciled and inked, and then Michael Dooney did a painted version over my inks. Then I did my own color version (shamelessly copying Mike's beautiful rendering of the metallic reflections on the Fugitoid's body). I found this version in a folder of files I was originally going to put up on my "Blast From The Past" page on the planetracers.com website.



Why did I do my own version after Mike did his? I don't exactly recall. But in the notes I left in the folder in which I found this piece, apparently it was created as a cover for one of the First Comics graphic novel reprints of the old TMNT books... and was rejected.

In all honesty, Mike's version is the better of the two, and that's the one which was blown up in the background of the photo. If I can find Mike's version, I will post that as well. -- PL

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is incredibly fantastic!

    I would really love to see a book put together that includes all of these hidden treasures and other works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -->> OR A DAMM PRINT,Rose !!

    FUGGIN' BEAUTIFUL !!

    AND THE CREEPY WONDERFUL UTROMS .. I KNEW I SAW THEM ON RYAN'S PIC !!

    (( Man i hope NECA goes long enuff' .. it'd be so cool to have creepy Utroms, Triceratons, and a Fugitoid emulate that illustration !! ))

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  3. -->> O YEH .. apples and oranges.

    Pete and Mike are different artists with different skills. Mike's work has a beauty all his own, ..
    but so does Peter's. Very much so.

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over Don's left shoulder in the background among the stars there is a faded image of a building? Something with a doorway?
    Anyone know what this is?
    Very cool art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -->> Dion , i could be hallucinating..

    but if you pull back, that door actually looks like the nose on face of one of the 'Utom Robot Bodies' !! The big 'Star' is his left ( our right ) eye !!

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with tOk about a print or something of it.

    AND I agree with Roseangelo about a book with all these things in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutley beautiful! And like Rose said, it really would be awesome if things like this were printed in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info, Mr. Laird. It's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This (as well as the other version) should be released as a poster that can be bought on the official site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Peter please please please start drawing again! *beggs*
    You're way to talented not to be doing more art.

    I'd love a book of rejected stuff also or even just TMNT toy concepts that never made it, sort of like in Michael Dooneys porfolio comic that Tundra did some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. D'oh! Ofcourse it is... cheers tokka. I must learn to engage brain before leaving comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the turtles' poses on this piece. Incredible. I echo some of the other fans' suggestions: a book that collects unseen TMNT artwork would kick so much tail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Guide to the Universe" RPG book cover. Ahhh, the good old days...

    ReplyDelete